Monday, July 27, 2009

full of beauty


2 July
You can walk around a corner in Paris and see an ancient Roman bathhouse, a gorgeous building or monument, a garden, a plaque that says Manet was born here.
I'm in the La Villotte neighbourhood. Parc' des Buttes Chaumont is nearby, with a cave and waterfalls. Our room is too small for the two us, but right now I'm downstairs in the garden where it is pretty and fresh. Four round tables, orange tableclothes, pink hydrangas, phlox. From here, I can see the windows of apartments and balconies. Birds land near my feet, eating crumbs the receptionist has thrown out. Rachel is afraid of birds, but I can't see why.


1 comment:

Sara Backer said...

Yes, this reminds me of my trips years ago. Isn't it funny how Americans are picky about hotel rooms but not restaurants and Europeans are the opposite? Public space is much friendlier in Europe.