Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the day I fell in love and lost all hope of earning a living wage


I hardly knew Chuck when he came to the bar where I worked years ago and gave me a copy of Ivan Illich's book, Deschooling Society. I read it and dropped out of college. Illich, in case you don't know, argues that education isn't really about learning but about maintaining class structure. More broadly, he argues against experts mediating and defining our experience.
Chuck says that if he had his way no employer would be able to discriminate based on educational background.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I actually have wrestled with that question quite a bit after watching someone sit on the Lebanon School Board who had very little education and was a disaster. It made a lot of people claim that an education was necessary. I spent some time defending the idea that a person with any educational level was qualified to sit on a school board, but I constantly find myself wandering how strong the correlation is between education and whatever it is we look for in others to consider them qualified.

Chekhov would hate my writing.