Friday, August 25, 2006

Yoga


I've started doing yoga again, after a summer of sitting in a chair. After three months of no practice, why am I surprised to find myself less flexible and weaker? When I practice for three months, I expect results. Why am I surprised that my no-practice also has results? Why do I expect to have it both ways? And anyway, I'm not supposed to be so result-driven. Nasim Hikmet says to live like a squirrel, without looking for something beyond, but I'm not sure this is what he meant. He meant being alive is enough. And when you practice yoga, I mean when you are doing it, that should be enough. Last night it occurred to me that so much is going on with each pose, if you notice you'll see. There are so many sensations. My teacher loves the practice. She is so joyful about it. She walks among us, whispering: gorgeous, gorgeous.

No comments: